Wednesday, November 21, 2012

World Prematurity Day

Saturday was World Prematurity Day.  And now this has a special place in my heart.


I know that I was lucky, we had relatively healthy babies, who made it pretty far along considering (34.5 weeks).  There are other people who give birth much earlier, or give birth to babies that need much more care, and worse- babies that don't make it.

That being said, having premature babies, and being in the NICU for a month has been hands down the hardest part of being a parent.  Not being able to hold Henry and Zoey whenever I wanted, feeling so helpless, and pretty much living in the hospital took a toll on my emotions.

But, I am so thankful for the care that we got, the doctors and nurses that made sure these two were healthy.

Below are some pictures from our time in the hospital.  I can't believe that was already 8 months ago.  This was the morning after giving birth, I finally got to hold my babies.


Henry - in the incubator.











Zoey in the incubator - getting a sock put on her hand, so she would not pull out her feeling tube.

So this is really fuzzy, but I cant get over how tiny Z looks.  Minus her feet, they look big.  And her ET foot is her pulse monitor  

The morning that I walked in and Henry and Zoey were in cribs - rather than their incubators.


Z - sleeping with arms up :)

Rare, unplugged cuddle time.


 Last day in the NICU.  Henry was already home, but would come back so he could nap with his sister.  No more cords!


Nate and I were so lucky to have such great family and friends - who visited us often, brought food to the hospital and home, would come to the hospital to go for a walk so we could get a way for 30 minutes, and understanding when we didn't want visitors - since our time holding the kiddos was so precious.

And I am thankful that we were able to take home two healthy, wonderful, happy babies.

On a lighter note - check back in in a few hours for a great picture of Zoey.







No comments:

Post a Comment