Monday, January 6, 2014

Having twins is hard..

Okay, time to get real.  Having twins is hard.  It has been hard at every stage, but this stage is the hardest.  Don't get me wrong, for the most part, it is great.  They are fun and entertaining, sweat and funny, loving and adorable.  But with all these things, they are still two almost 2 year olds, who are stubborn, emotional, and have no patience.

Last week I lost it.  Long story short I went to the Zoo to meet some friends- there is no way to easily control 2 kids who want to run in opposite directions, when there are hundreds of other people around.  They don't understand reasoning, and when they are tired it is much worse.  After leaving the zoo early, without getting to say goodbye to my friends, and having to carry 60lbs of kids to the car (part of the issue - was a forgotten stroller) on the coldest day of the year when they were throwing their mittens off... I got them in their car seats and sat in the car and cried.

I was having a little pity party for myself...  I just cant always do the things that my friends with one kid, or with an older kid and younger kid can do.  Having twins is hard.  And only other twin moms can truly understand it.  Yes, having one kid is hard, having two or more kids is also hard; but there are unique challenges that twin mom's face.  I think that is why I feel an automatic connection to other twin moms out there.  They have gone through or will go through exactly what I have.

Of course, after the pity party, was a guilty party... I have 2 healthy, wonderful kids.  They will soon learn to listen, and not sprint off as fast as possible.  I wont always have to carry them, because it is too cold to let them walk their speed.  I wont always be able to carry both of them.  Why was I feeling so negative now.

I just need to remember that I do have family and friends who are willing to always help out, who love Henry and Zoey as much as they love me.  I have a husband that seems to have no end in patience with them and me, and remember that this time will go way to fast.

So to leave on a high note... An adorable picture of the kiddos with my Cousin Ashley, who got engaged on New Years Eve!







7 comments:

  1. Oh, Megan! I completely get it. I thought ages 1.5 to around 2 (or a little after) was the hardest. You feel like you have no control and it is hard to go places on your own with them. Of course, each age brings challenges, but it really does get easier. Hang in there!

    Have you taken them to the Habitot Room at the Children's Museum? It's a great place for their age. They can run wild in a fun room and they are locked in! :) It's a good winter activity for toddlers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen - it makes me feel better that there are people out there that understand. I will have to try the Children's Museum... sounds like a good place for two :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for your honesty and sharing. Not twins but having more than one and kids close is difficult I understand completely. Whenever it gets hard I just think about the happy cute things they do or look at pictures to change my attitude. I hope you have a better week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Natalie - I can't imagine 4 kids now - you also have your hands full. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. I'm right there with you Megan! I feel trapped at our house sometimes because there is just no safe or fun way to deal with both insane 19month olds on my own. You want to give them normal kid experiences but it is HARD with two. We do have a sensory room for Max in our basement with a ball pit and swings- it's not huge, but it gets their energy out. And it's padded. If you ever want to bring the kids over to play I think it would be great to get together! Just message me on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tiff - I know you would understand.. I can't even imagine doing it with your twins and Max as well! I would love to come over! I will message you some time soon :)

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete