Monday, November 19, 2012

House Tour: Living room

While there are still some changes I would like to make, our living room is one of my favorite rooms in the house.  This is the view from the top of the stairs from the lower level, and what you see when you first walk in.  


Our huge window let in a ton of light... the cats sit there and watch birds go by all day. 

View from the dining room.  You can see the entry way on the far left. 

The other corner.  On the left you can see the (messy) dining room,  on the right are the stairs to go up and down.  Behind this wall is the kitchen. 
 The filing cabinet above was a recent project I took on.  It was all gross and dirty before, but with a little paint, it looks like new.






It also happens to be our liquor cabinet

This lamp is a goodwill find.  Again, a little spray paint and some fabric makes it new again:
The table that it is on is a garage sale find of Nate's.  He painted the bottoms and stained the top.  The thing is - the top is laminate.  Yep, he stained laminate.  And you would never know it is not real wood!

Our TV console, with the other side table.  And my wood stump table.  I did all the sanding and sealing.  Nate carried it in. 
The shelf Nate built me for our first anniversary.  I think that the first anniversary is paper, but hey, paper comes from wood, so it works.  I had been eyeing floating shelves just like this all over the internet, but they were all too expensive, and nothing was just right.  But Nate got it right!

Yep - my husband is awesome. No - you can't have him. 


 See that map in the left...

 We like to mark each place we go.  Red is me, Blue is Nate, and Green is together. 



 Nate built the arc lamp too.  Wow - no wonder I love this room.  There is a lot of sweat and time put into here. 

 Oh - and you notice the banner hanging in the window.  I decided to cave to the pendant trend, and make a give thanks sign.  I was motivated along by Dare to DIY, hosted by Kim, Michelle, Rachel, and  Chelsea.  So as part of my living room, I am sharing my fun and festive Thanksgiving banner.    



20 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, I love your living room so so so much. It has such great light and I'm positively jealous of that huge window. Just lovely> I love all your pillows and those bright frames, too. Wonderful job.

    And great job on the DIY project. I love pennants, so I'm smitten over your version. Perfect for the holiday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim! I am glad that you hosted this challenge to get my butt in gear!

      Delete
  2. I am loving your living room. I don't know how you can do it with 2 little ones! Amazing. Your banner looks great, and I'm seriously jealous of that window. I use to call them Christmas tree windows. Now I just think about all the natural light you can have! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a great husband who helps, and two pretty good nappers. But the piles of laundry and dishes show that I don't get it all done :)

      Delete
  3. Seriously your house is INSANE!!! Can you come decorate for me?!?! Found you through the link up and I love the banner! I can't get over how much I love those frames behind the tv stand. Beautiful. Where did you get them?!?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristina -
      Thank you! The frames behind the TV are actually old IKEA frames, and I painted them to match my house.

      Delete
  4. What beautiful house you have! Love all the details such as the pinned map and the orange drawers. Everything looks so good! Love the banner too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is a labor of love, but it makes me happy!

      Delete
  5. Your living room looks great! Our cats love to look out our sliding doors. Great banner too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do your cats leave little nose prints on the doors? Arg - while it is cute, I have to clean the windows too often :)

      Delete
  6. I have serious house envy right now. That room is fantastic! I love the colors, and that file cabinet is just amazing. I love that the banner letters are clothespinned onto the string--that adds such a fun touch. Thanks so much for joining in, and sharing your home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The filing cabinet is a favorite of mine. I had been searching for a card catalog - and still haven't found one. But this will do just fine!

      Delete
  7. oh, I love it! all the colors are great--such a cheery, comfy room (well--comfy looking, anyway; don't worry--I haven't been sneaking into your house to chill in your cozy living room!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bwahaha, the couch is pretty comfy- so you might have snuck in :)

      Delete
  8. I had trouble seeing the sign at first because I was so distracted by your adorable pillows!!! Thanks for joining the DIY fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness! I love everything about this room. It is perfect!!! And I love the banner, too. :) Great job! Can I move in?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brittaney - you are welcome any time - as long as you don't mind changing diapers :)

      Delete
  10. Really lovely, with that homey, just-wanna-be-in-there kinda look. The banner is a great addition.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a happy, cheerful room! I LOVE the "liquor cabinet," and of course the shelves your husband made for you!

    I'm following along now in my reader - I can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Meg! I am so glad that you left this link! This is SO AMAZING and I love how bright and happy the room is!! Great job lady!

    love your guts
    mandi

    ReplyDelete